CPB Contractors’ Christchurch Convention and Exhibition Centre wins the Master Builders Civic Project Award

June 27, 2022
  • Project
  • Health and safety and environment
  • Awards
  • Innovation
  • Engineering design

The Te Pae Christchurch Convention and Exhibition Centre (CCEC), designed and constructed by CPB Contractors, has won the Civic Project Award at the 2022 New Zealand Commercial Project Awards. 

Located in Central Christchurch, the CCEC draws on its South Island location with a sweeping curved façade consisting of over 42,000 individual mounted tiles representing the contours of the Southern Alps and braided Canterbury Rivers. The 28,000m2 building consists of a 1,400-seat tiered auditorium, operable walls to configure 24 meeting rooms, an exhibition hall and banquet hall and assorted food, beverage and retail amenities.

Committed to working with the local economy, over 90% of CPB Contractors’ workforce on the project were from the region, with training and upskilling opportunities provided throughout construction. 

The Master Builders judging panel made special acknowledgement on the efforts of the CPB Contractors Engineering team, who designed the CCEC as an innovative solution to a complex seismic design. “

The team should be applauded for their exemplar management of a nine-stage consent process and excellent communication with the Christchurch City Council.”

The CCEC has been built to meet sustainability efficiencies and New Zealand Green Building Council 5 Star Green Star Rating requirements. Features of the building include;

  • high-efficiency façade with low shading, co-efficient glazing and double-glazed windows
  • use of 85% renewable energy with the remaining 15% offset
  • systems to weigh, track and report all waste and recycling streams 
  • automatic lighting controls to complement natural light levels
  • above code insulation to reduce energy consumption and noise transfer
  • 100% LED lighting throughout all spaces, with occupancy sensors 
  • metering of utilities through the Building Management System with reporting to identify areas for improvement for year-on-year reductions 
  • food waste processing by an onsite dehydrator system into a compost-style material for donation to local market gardens and schools.
Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.