Brisbane South State Secondary College (BSSSC) has won the Professional Excellence Award for Commercial Construction at the 2022 Queensland AIB Professional Excellence in Building Awards.
Designed and built by Broad Construction in 2021, the vertical, inner-city project included two learning hubs, a health and wellbeing hub, a creative hub and an administration hub connected by walkways. The delivery of BSSSC also included green space, sports facilities and a learning oasis.
Throughout the design and construction of the BSSSC, Broad Construction focused on sustainable, efficient and innovative practices. These included:
- diverting more than 91% of project waste from landfill
- installing water tanks to capture all run-off for irrigation
- installing solar panels to the sports hall roof to power lighting around the complex
- changing all lift and stair cores to free-standing precast cores, which saved time during installation
- adopting a ‘bolt on’ façade element so that they could be applied once the structure had been built to the maximum height
The AIB Professional Excellence in Building Awards showcase and reinforce the role of building professionals in managing the construction process. They recognise a project’s ability to overcome challenges and ensure timely, on-budget completion.