Aviation project key to future demand and recovery
CPB Contractors worked with the Brisbane Airport Corporation to construct the New Parallel Runway in a 50:50 joint venture with BMD Constructions.
The project included construction of a 3.3km (60m wide) main runway, a 12km taxiway system and airfield infrastructure including navigational aids, airfield lighting, utilities and signage, operational roads, security controls and fencing, and approximately 300 hectares of airfield landscaping.
The project operated at more than 3.2 million workhours LTI free and delivered enormous local benefits for the industry.
Throughout the life of the project CPB Contractors inducted more than 3,700 people and engaged over 300 subcontractors with 90 percent of those businesses from south east Queensland.
The runway opened in July 2020.
Project fast facts:
- 360-hectare site (2.5 times the size of Brisbane’s CBD)
- 3.3km of runway and 12km of taxiways constructed
- 21km of air-side roads
- 5 million cubic metres of bulk sand earthworks undertaken
- Approximately 1.2 million tonnes of quarry products
- 100,000 tonnes of aircraft grade asphalt